We’re now in competition season. We need snacks when we’re traveling, competing, or find ourselves in a pinch. Granola bars are easy, but I don’t like the store bought ones. They’re not up to my standard of what I want to put in my body as it’s hard to find ones that don’t have a lot of unnatural sugar but contain a decent amount of protein and fiber. So… I make my own.
If I don’t monitor Ash, he’ll eat all of these in 3 days. His favorite thing to do is to wait to eat until 5 minutes before we have to leave for practice and then say, “I’m in a pinch!”
If you want to know more about our nutrition philosophy, you can find it here.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3/4 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.
- In separate bow, mix almond butter, honey, and vanilla together until smooth. Sometimes I heat slightly in the microwave to make it a little more runny and easier to mix.
- Combine with dry ingredients (using your hands to mix is easiest).
- Dump mixture onto parchment lined cookie sheet and press down firmly until about 1/2 inch thick. Smooth the top.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees and bake bars for 30 minutes.
Let cool, cut into squares, and wrap in plastic wrap.
Makes about 25 bars.