We love granola. In yogurt, oatmeal, as cereal, or just by the handful. It’s so good (and addicting!). But you know us, we always try to get more protein, fiber, and less sugar in everything. So here’s our attempt. It’s sweetened with dried cherries and full of nuts and seeds. One half cup contains about 8 grams of protein and 0 grams of unnatural sugar.
If you want to know more about our nutrition philosophy, you can find it here.
- 5 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- 1.5 cups hazelnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, chopped
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups unsweetened dried cherries, chopped
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the peanut butter, 1/2 cup water, and coconut oil, stirring carefully. As they blend, gradually add the rest of the water (1/2 cup) until you have a smooth sauce. (Do not bring to a boil - the goal is to mix them, not to make it hot.) Add the vanilla.
- Pour the peanut sauce over the dry ingredients, a little at a time, and mix in, letting small clumps of oats form. Spread the mixture out on baking sheets.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes. Stir, and bake for another 15 minutes. At this point, if the granola around the edges is starting to get crispy but the middle of the pan is still a bit damp, stir again and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let cool and store in a sealed container.
Makes approximately 12 cups.