We aren't very good at cooking fish. Neither of our families made it much when we were growing up so we just didn't learn how to prepare it well. We want to incorporate it into our diets as often as possible since we know how good it is for us, but we don't know what spices to add that will bring out the best flavor so that it's not just a bland, tasteless piece of protein sitting on our plates. Then we found this amazing sauce that totally transformed our fish eating experience.
It's simple and made up of fresh, healthy ingredients.
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
- 1 lg. garlic clove, left unpeeled
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. warm water
- lemon juice
- 5 - 8 kalamata olives, pitted
- 3/4 to 1 lb. salmon (skin left on)
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scoop out a bit of the seeds inside each tomato so you're left with small bowl in each one. Place tomatoes cut side up in baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and salt. Add garlic to the pan and roast until tomatoes are slightly shriveled around edges (approx. 40 mins.)
- When finished, peel garlic and puree with tomatoes, water, lemon juice, olives, and salt and pepper in food processor or blender until smooth. Sometimes we'll add a splash of white wine also.
- Meanwhile, season the salmon with salt, pepper, and paprika until nicely covered. Heat canola oil in a pan until simmering.
- Place salmon fillet, flesh side down into the pan for a few minutes until crispy.
- Move fish, skin side down, to a foil covered baking sheet and bake for additional 6 to 8 minutes.
- Serve salmon with sauce.
Serves 2 people.