Everyone does it. They crave dessert, look for a healthy version of that dessert, and cross their fingers that they won't feel guilty when they eat it. We're no exception.
First thing's first, dessert would taste horrible if it wasn't sweet, so the trick is finding desserts that use natural sweeteners. Maple syrup, honey, and dates are all great options. Below are some of our favorite go-to recipes when our sweet tooth is acting up.
Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie
We got this recipe from Chelsea Knight, our yoga for athletes instructor. It is AMAZING and sweetened 100% with dates.
- 1 cup walnuts, halves & pieces
- 1/4 cup soft, pitted dates
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup coconut cream*
- 1/2 cup soft, pitted dates
- 3 oz. dark chocolate, melted**
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
* coconut cream is the solid cream that settles on the top of canned coconut milk. If you can't find canned coconut cream, buy coconut milk and just discard the liquid
** we used 100% cacao unsweetened Baker's chocolate
- To make crust, in a food processor, purée the walnuts, dates, cinnamon, and salt until very fine. Transfer mixture to a glass pie dish and press firmly across the bottom and halfway up the sides.
- For filling, add coconut cream, dates, chocolate, coconut oil, and vanilla extract to the food processor and purée for 1 minute or until the filling is smooth. Pour over crust and chill to set.
Raw Candy Bars
The next two recipes come from a blog that Brianne stumbled upon. Lottie is the master behind these plant-based recipes, and although we've never met her, we feel like she's our best friend and love her for sharing all of her amazingly healthy recipes.
Her 6 ingredient raw candy bars are always our go to thing whenever we have a sweet tooth. We'll make a whole bunch and keep them in the freezer for a quick fix. They taste a lot like Snickers bars. Trust us and just make them.
Peanut Butter Banana Bread
Another one of Lottie's amazing, date sweetened recipes. If you like banana bread, you definitely have to make her peanut butter banana bread! You can make it in any form; muffins, loaves, cakes...
Give Lottie a follow on her Instagram. You will not be disappointed as she posts new recipes weekly and they're all so good!
That's it from us but we would love to hear some of your healthy dessert recipes. Please share them in the comments below.